How we work
Toi Āria works on strategies, policies and projects that strengthen the connection between organisations, government and communities, and we work with our partners to make design part of the everyday policy making process.
The strength of Toi Āria lies in its engagement with the public to ensure an evidence-based approach to policy and service design. In partnership with government, organisations, councils and universities, we work to radically transform approaches to strategy, policy and engagement at a systemic level.
We use people-centred design because it is the most potent agent of positive social change. It prioritises empathy, equality, collaboration, and is evidence-based and iterative, ensuring the needs of communities are met through the design process.
Toi Āria brings to policy-making, programmes and new initiatives a mechanism to provoke discussion and pose piercing questions; it enables the articulation of needs and provides diverse ways of reframing problems and opportunities.
We design ways for people to take part in the engagement process enjoyably, authentically and in such a way that their voices are heard and reflected.
- Designing powerful conversations to help senior leaders and staff align and constantly adapt strategies for new futures.
- Assisting with policy making, government initiatives, local innovation and public sector programmes by providing a bespoke mechanism to provoke discussion; enable the articulation of needs and provides diverse ways of reframing the ‘opportunity’.
- Build and leverage IP (proprietary tools/processes) for the organisation.
- Explore insights, future trends, and leading experts from related fields to push boundaries.
- Align multi-stakeholder groups and/or senior leaders to develop a shared sense of purpose.
- Turning desired futures into actions.
- Crafting breakthrough propositions, services and experiences through human centred co-design to provide meaningful, relevant and fit for purpose services.
- Proposition innovation by using customer-centred design to develop incremental and game-changing services that can transform the external performance of organisations.
- Business Planning: design thinking process to lift planning out of the quagmire of budgets and wish lists to creative strategic thinking that is innovative and leads to actionable and aligned plans.
- Public Insights: Generating quantitative and qualitative insights and data from tailor-made engagement programmes.
- Meaningful and dynamic formats for engagement that can drive strategic innovation.
- Creating new future ready organisations.
- Mobilising organisations through systems co-design and intensive training in strategic thinking and design capabilities.
- Building design thinking capacity with our partners.
- Equip public servants/leaders with the skills and knowledge to develop policy and strategy in a more open, creative and user-centred way.
- Finding the most effective way to stimulate and embed the transformative power of design thinking within the public sector, society and the wider economy.
- Providing partners embedded and lasting structural change with behavioural and system transformation.
- Organisational innovation: Radically redesigning the organisation’s systems, structures, and processes via co-design with users to help leaders successfully address efficiency and innovation needs and supercharge transformation efforts.
- Creating bespoke training programs from foundation to masterclass levels that enable people to apply co-design, conversation, and customer centred-thinking in their work. Running leadership development for Executives in leading strategic innovation and sustainable change.